Reasonable Salaries

What’s a Reasonable Salary?

The instructions for Form 1120-S, “US Income Tax Return for an S Corporation,” state that distributions and other payments by an S Corporation to a corporate officer must be treated as wages to the extent the amounts are reasonable compensation for services rendered to the corporation.

The amount of the compensation will never exceed the amount received by the shareholder, either directly or indirectly. However, if cash or property or the right to receive cash and property did go to the shareholder, a salary amount must be determined, and the level of salary must be reasonable and appropriate.

There are no specific guidelines for reasonable compensation in the code or the regulations. The various courts that have ruled on this issue have based their determinations on the facts and circumstances of each case.

Get In Touch

At RMH Tax & Financial Advisors, Inc., we've been serving the needs of Plymouth, MN and the surrounding areas for years. If you need help managing any aspect of your home or business's finances, we want to hear from you.

Please fill out this form and let us know how we can be of service. We will happily offer you a FREE initial consultation to determine how we can best serve you.

Thank you for visiting. We look forward to working together!

RMH Tax & Financial Advisors, Inc.

12805 Highway 55, Suite 412,
Plymouth, MN 55441
T: (763) 557-2818


Facebook  LinkedIn  Twitter 

© 2021

Search  Site Map  Privacy Policy  Disclaimer
Back to top

Get In Touch

Client Portal Login

Subscribe to our Newsletter